Housewife or Oxford

What is the difference between a “ housewife pillowcase” and a “Oxford pillowcase”?


Oxford pillowcase has a wide stitched flat hem(usually around 5cm) round the outside to create a border, whereas the housewife pillowcase does not.

Both the Housewife and Oxford pillowcases fit snugly around the pillowcase.  The Oxford Edge pillowcase looks bigger and fancier, but the internal dimensions for the pillow are the same.


Housewife or Oxford basically means that they have no border (Housewife) or they have a border (Oxford).


This applies to all sizes of pillowcases and also to the duvet covers, you can have Housewife duvet covers or Oxford duvet covers.